Saturday, January 29, 2011

One More Week...

The past two weeks at ODS have come and gone quickly.  And while much has changed much has stayed the same as well.

Our daily routine is all too familiar to us at this point--PT, classroom instruction, chow, uniform and room inspections, etc.  One day runs into the next, yet we continue to check off important milestones in our progress.  During the past two weeks, we've had yet another PT test.  I was pleased to have shown some improvement--100 sit ups (2 minutes), 63 push ups (2 minutes), and the 1.5 mile run in 12:38.  Our one and only academic test occurred as well, covering the class matierial we've been taught thus far.  I'm grateful for a 90%.  We've also had our last two room inspections and our dress blue uniform inspection which I was able to pass without much problem.

If anything has changed during the past two weeks, it has been the tone of our instructors.  As we approach our graduation, they have begun the transition of beginning to treat us as soon-to-be Naval officers rather than raw recruits.  The company has received more freedom and latitude and have been given more responsibility as well.  It has been a welcome change of pace. 

The last week has been difficult for me physically.  The training environment has been difficult on our health in general (lack of sleep, cold weather, close contact with others, etc.).  Several of us have succumbed to what we have affectionately dubbed the "Echo Virus," which comes with a very high fever, muscle pain, sore joints, and occasional vomitting.  I was SIQ (sick in quarters) for three days.  After getting back on my feet, I was down again with bronchitis which I'm battling currently.  I look forward to being healthy soon, especially as I look to make the transition to Ft. Jackson next week.

The next few days should go by quickly.  On Sunday morning/afternoon and on Monday morning I have been assigned to "colors," which means I get to help raise and lower the ensign (U.S. flag) at those times.  I certainly look forward to this experience.  I have always been moved by the playing of our national anthem and the sight of our flag, but the opportunity and privilege to salute in uniform is an amazing honor.

If our class schedule remains unchanged, we will have the opportunity to return to the pool for some combat/rescue swim training.  We should also have the opportunity to meet with Chaplain Crouterfield from Ft. Jackson.  The final hurdle will be our third PT test.  Much of the rest of our time will be spent in practicing for our graduation ceremony.  We have a lot of work to do to look sharp for Friday.  I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Jared,

    Hang in there - pretty soon it'll be over and you'll be moving on to the next chapter of your Military career (Chaplain School). Our thoughts and prayers are with you (and Tammy) - may God continue to Bless you both! V/R, John Ingersoll

    ReplyDelete